Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I’ll just continue.

 

This last week I met people who will struggle to make $100 in a YEAR.

IMG_2464

I’ll continue to spend hundreds on lenses for my camera.

People will use water like this, everyday.

IMG_2437

I’ll continue to complain when the only thing we have to drink is water.

CHILDREN will carry loads of wood on their back, everyday, to use or sell.

IMG_2510

I’ll continue to complain about loading the dishwasher.

People will struggle to feed their families.

IMG_2462

I’ll continue to (well, just yesterday) spend $10 without thinking, at Starbucks.

This bed will be shared by 3 people tonight.

IMG_2898

I’ll continue wanting to paint my room because, “I don’t like that color.”

People will live here.

IMG_2955

IMG_2440

I’ll continue to want things I don’t need. I’ll continue to whine about petty things. I’ll continue to not keep things in perspective.

It’s not bad to buy an overpriced coffee or to buy yourself a new shirt. I’m just saying it is so easy to forget. It’s easy to shut it all out, to pretend everything is okay in the world.

On Good Morning America today there was a huge story on poor Demi Moore, and how she is dealing with seeing Ashton and Mila together. REALLY? Is that REALLY the best thing you could come up with? What about all the people dying from conflict in the Middle East? Or the thousands who die everyday from AIDS?

People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.      -To Kill A Mockingbird

I can see all the things I’ve seen and genuinely hurt for those people, genuinely want to help them and make a difference, but at the same time, I can just continue on with my life. I don’t lead a totally frivolous wasteful life in comparison to most Americans. But in comparison to the majority of the world? Yes, I do.

I really, honestly, don’t think it’s wrong to spend money or time on things we don’t need. Just because others can’t have them doesn’t mean we shouldn’t.

But sometimes, you feel guilty sipping on that $5 coffee, knowing that others can’t buy shoes, or don’t have access to clean water.

I don’t know what the answer is, I really don’t.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Amen! I sometimes get on my "high horse" and think - why do they need that $300 purse - really??? and then I look at myself - hmmmm - did I really need to spend $20 on that lunch yesterday? I don't know the answer either. :) Love you Bekah! Love your photos too!

David and Larisa said...

I SO get where you are coming from on this....I have similar conflicting thoughts every single day. Beautiful post, Bekah.

Ingrid and Mathilde said...

Wonderful post!! It's always nice to be reminded of these things. After coming back from travels abroad, I was always surprised by the size of people's cars in the states. Do you really need such a huge truck for just one person??